An assisted reproductive technique, both IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) and ICSI (Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection) are two popular techniques used as fertility treatments.
In both IVF and ICSI method of treatments, the egg cell is artificially retrieved from the female and fertilization occurs outside the female body. However, most patients often get confused with the two terms and remain unsure about the benefits offered by the two techniques. As a result, they are unable to choose the right one.
There are numerous experienced and reputed Infertility treatment centers offering exceptionally good IVF treatment in Aurangabad along with ICSI treatment in Aurangabad. Moreover, the IVF cost in Aurangabad, when compared to the cost of infertility services provided by other infertility centers all over India, is highly reasonable and affordable.
Primary Difference between IVF and ICSI Treatment:
IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) Treatment:
“In Vitro” literally refers to outside the body. In the in Vitro method of assisted reproduction, fertilization (fusion of egg and sperm) takes place outside the female body in a Petri dish.IVF was the first technique to be developed.
Indications for IVF treatment for male and female include the following:
- Low sperm count (Oligo –Zoospermia)
- Decreased motility of sperms (Astheno Zoospermia)
- Abnormal sperm morphology(Terato Zoppermia)
- Techniques needing surgical retrieval of sperms (TESA, PESA, TESE, MESA)
- Tubal factor infertility such as absent tubes, Tubal blockage, Hydrosalpinx, Tubal adhesions.
- Cervical factors
- Ovarian factors
- Immunological infertility
- Unexplained infertility
Procedure for IVF Treatment:
Basic stepwise treatment of IVF involves the following:
- Superovulation or Controlled ovarian hyperstimulation(COH)
- Ovum pick up or egg retrieval
- Insemination, Fertilization and Egg culture
- Embryo transfer
ICSI (Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection) Treatment:
“ICSI” fertility treatment stands for Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection in which a single sperm is directly injected into the centre of the egg and the fusion of the egg and sperm takes place outside the body.
Difference between IVF and ICSI Treatment:
- The technique of ICSI requires very less number of sperms. Whereas in case of IVF a greater number of sperms are required.
- In the ICSI technique, a single sperm is directly injected into the center of the egg. But in IVF, sperms and eggs are placed in a Petri dish for the purpose of fertilization.
- ICSI technique aids the sperms to penetrate the egg while in case of IVF, sperms should penetrate the eggs.
- ICSI technique is best suited for treatment of male fertility but IVF technique is suitable for treating both male and female fertility.
- ICSI technique is used to obtain better results and IVF technique is used in case of failure of primary infertility treatments such as artificial insemination.
- ICSI fertility treatment is more expensive as compared to IVF.
Both IVF and ICSI techniques are widely used in the fertility treatment of humans and are highly popular for achieving fertilization.